Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough says the museum complex is safe, despite criticism of lax protections for workers handling asbestos in the museums.
Clough told a congressional panel Wednesday that all current and former Smithsonian Institution employees and its volunteers will be offered free health screenings. He also ordered a review of safety procedures.
Richard Pullman, an exhibits specialist at the National Air and Space Museum, began complaining publicly last month that he and fellow workers hadn’t been told about asbestos in the museum’s walls. The Smithsonian had known about the asbestos since 1992.
Pullman also filed a federal whistleblower complaint.
Pullman’s work involved cutting into the asbestos-laden walls. He’s been diagnosed with a lung disease related to asbestos.
___
Information from: The Washington Post
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
JPMorgan Banker Sues Ex-Colleague Over ‘Fabricated’ Sex Claims
Meta Settles School Suit Over Social Media, Averting First Trial
Snap, YouTube Settle School-Social Media Suit Ahead of Trial
Verisk, insured.io, Omni and TruVideo Rolling out New Tech