Unattended Candle Blamed for Newark Apartment Fire

December 30, 2008

State fire investigators say an unattended candle started a fire at a Newark apartment on Christmas Eve.

The fire broke out around 5 p.m. Wednesday at the apartment in the Abbey Walk Apartments on Pike Creek Road.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says the accidental fire started in the living room where a candle was left unattended.

A Mill Creek fire officials says firefighters rescued a man trapped in another apartment by heavy smoke in the hallway. The fire marshal’s office says the man was taken to Christiana Hospital, where he was treated for smoke inhalation and released.

Damage was estimated at $50,000.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.