As New York enteerd winter weather awareness week, Floyd Madison, the state fire administrator, warned the public of the dangers associated with kerosene heaters, wood or pellet stoves and long-unused fireplaces.
As energy costs soar, more New Yorkers are likely to use alternative heat sources.
Madison says it’s essential for residents to be aware of fire risks, and to make sure there’s plenty of ventilation for alternate heating sources to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be produced by such common items as home heating systems, obstructed chimneys and automotive exhaust.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.