Coal-Fired Heating System Problem Likely Sparked Colorado Hotel Fire

January 6, 2015

A problem with the coal-fired heating system in Yampa’s Royal Hotel is believed to have caused the fire that destroyed the historic building.

The fire started Saturday night and continued into Sunday. No injuries were reported.

According to Steamboat Today, the Colorado hotel was built in 1906 by Thomas P. Lindsay and served miners, timber and railroad crews, ranchers, and travelers on the Wolcott Stage line.

More recently, the hotel provided showers for area hunters and had the only year-round bar in town. Some residents say it was haunted by a ghost named Rufus. Conflicting legends say Rufus died of the flu epidemic while staying at the hotel or was a gambler killed after cheating in a poker game.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.