Vail Condo Fire Cause Traced to Fireplace

December 1, 2014

Investigators say a fire in a Vail, Colo., condominium complex was accidental and started when a log or embers from a fireplace ignited other materials in one of the units.

The Vail Daily reports none of the 13 residents were injured in the Nov. 22 fire at the Matterhorn Inn, but three domestic cats were killed. Two other cats were rescued.

Fire officials have said the 11-unit complex is uninhabitable and must be demolished. Three units were owned by the residents and the others were leased.

The loss was put at $1.3 million.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.