Grill Blamed in Fire That Destroyed $300,000 Utah Home

October 16, 2014

Authorities are blaming an outdoor gas grill in a fire that destroyed a $300,000 home in Utah County.

Lehi Fire Department Battalion Chief Rick Howard told the Daily Herald the blaze was reported a little after 9 p.m. Monday, but had probably been burning in the attic for a while longer before the family living there noticed it.

Howard says a woman who lived there used the grill to cook dinner around 5 p.m., then turned the grill up to high to clean it.

He says the family was watching television when they heard popping that sounded like hail and saw an orange glow.

Nobody was injured in the fire, but Howard says the home and the cars in the garage were lost.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.