Officials say electrical equipment caused a huge wildfire that damaged or destroyed seven homes and is burning for an 11th day in the mountains above Palm Springs
Riverside County fire officials said in a brief statement Thursday night that the fire that started July 15 was the result of “electrical equipment failure on private property.” The statement gave no further details and said none will be immediately released as the investigation continues.
Crews are in mop-up mode on the blaze that blackened 43 square miles of the San Jacinto Mountains. It’s 92 percent contained and only smoldering.
At its peak, the fire forced 6,000 people to evacuate.
Also Thursday, crews contained a 612-acre wildfire off Interstate 5 north of Los Angeles that threatened canyon homes and spurred evacuations on Tuesday.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.