The owners of a Hollywood nightclub have been charged with violating fire codes and allowing overcrowding that put lives in danger.
The Los Angeles city attorney’s office says Friday that the charges stem from several incidents, including when fire inspectors shut down Supperclub on June 17. Prosecutors say the club has a 553-person capacity, but nearly twice as many people were inside. The club also had illegal fireworks, several blocked exits and a trapeze artist swinging from the ceiling over the overcrowded dance floor.
The club had apparently been ordered to cease use of both the trapeze artist and the illegal fireworks.
Last weekend a nightclub fire in Brazil left 235 people dead.
The club says it’s working with police and fire officials to ensure safety for its patrons.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.