Cigarette Caused Montana Group Home Fire

September 5, 2012

Authorities say a carelessly tossed cigarette is to blame for a fire that damaged a Missoula, Mont., group home.

Fire Marshal Gordy Hughes tells the Missoulian that the Sunday evening fire caused $100,000 in damage.

Hughes said the fire started outside the home’s east side and spread to the attic through a roof gable vent. There were no injuries to the home’s residents or staff.

Witnesses said the fire quickly consumed the house and left the roof caved in.

The home is run by the Missoula Developmental Service Corp., which cares for adults with severe developmental and intellectual disabilities. The nonprofit has several group homes around Missoula.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.