Two San Francisco 49ers fans who were attacked during a preseason home game against the rival Oakland Raiders have sued the team, parking lot security firm and National Football League.
Daniel Long and Gabriel Navarrette, both 26, claim the defendants failed to create a safe environment for fans attending the game on Aug. 20, 2011, at Candlestick Park.
The previously unpublicized litigation was filed in San Francisco Superior Court in November, the Contra Costa Times reported Friday. A trial is scheduled to start Aug. 19, 2013.
Navarrette was beaten unconscious by a group of men in the parking lot. Long was shot four times while attempting to help his friend. No suspects have been charged.
The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, says the incident has affected both men physically and economically.
The 49ers declined to comment on the lawsuit, but in a prepared statement said the team is “committed to providing a safe game day environment for all fans. That commitment has led to the highest security level rating given by the NFL.”
The NFL’s attorney declined to comment, and an attorney representative for Landmark Security said the company’s lawyer would not be able to respond, according to the newspaper.
The lawsuit cites the March 2011 beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles as fair warning about security problems at sport stadiums.
There were two shootings, two serious beatings and numerous alcohol-fueled fights during and after last year’s 49ers-Raiders game.
It prompted 49ers owner Jed York to ask the NFL to indefinitely suspend future games between the two teams. The 49ers also took new security measures, including banning postgame drinking and tailgating in parking lots.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.