Utah Man Causes Fire While Smoking, Suffers Injuries

July 26, 2012

Authorities say a Utah man suffered severe burns when the cigarette he was smoking sparked a fire while he was fueling his lawn mower.

Willard Fire Chief Van Mund says the 24-year-old man was treated for first- and second-degree burns after the fire Tuesday morning. Mund says the burns covered about 30 to 40 percent of the man’s body.

He was not identified. The Deseret News reports that the man was flown to University Hospital and is in critical condition.

Mund says the fire spread to the lawn mower, several other vehicles and a shed.

Mund says the fire happened as the man filled his lawn mower with gasoline.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.