California Wildfire Evacuees Urged to File Living Expenses

September 25, 2009

California Department of Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner reminded residents who have been evacuated due to the Guiberson Fire (Ventura County) that they may be eligible for reimbursement for additional living expenses due to mandatory evacuations.

Poizner also encouraged all Californians to make sure their insurance policies are updated and to conduct a home inventory today.

“Anyone who has been forced to evacuate their home due to the Guiberson Fire should check their insurance policies. Many policies cover additional living expenses that result from mandatory evacuations – including hotel stays and extra food costs.”

Evacuees with insurnace questions can call the Department of Insurance at 800-927-HELP.

The Guiberson Fire, which started on September 22, has burned close to 10,000 acres and threatens approximately one thousand structures. Mandatory evacuations are underway. For the most up-to-date information on this fire, go to

Many residential homeowners insurance policies cover what is known as ALE, or additional living expenses. This permits homeowners to maintain their normal standard of living by covering the increased living expenses incurred as a result of damage caused by the fire or a mandatory evacuation. ALE coverage typically includes extra food costs, increased housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage costs, telephone installation and extra transportation costs to and from school or work, after the deductible is reached.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.