Washington Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler has issued nearly $300,000 in fines and pulled several insurance agents’ licenses when they failed to follow the rules in the first few months of the year.
- Warrantech Home Service Co. of Bedford, Texas, was fined $10,000 for selling service contracts without a Washington license.
- Insurance Training Associates of Portland, Ore., was fined $1,000 for using licensee information for commercial purposes.
- Physicians Insurance of Seattle was fined $2,500 for a series of technical issues. The entire amount was suspended on the condition of future compliance.
- The following agents had their licenses suspended or revoked:
* Cynthia L. Larsen of Gig Harbor.
* Justina Y. Espinoza of Yakima.
* Charles P. Vick and Senior Life Planning Services of Maple Valley.
* Sung H. Kim of Federal Way.
- AMT Warranty Corp of New York was fined $100,000, with $25,000 suspended, for applying for a license and doing business for approximately a year under a different name. The company changed its name prior to applying for its license, but applied and sold service contracts under its old name.
- Premera Blue Cross and Lifewise Health Plans of Washington in Mountlake Terrace were fined $80,000, with $50,000 suspended, when a routine examination uncovered instances of misleading advertising, using unapproved rates and contracts, and failing to provide consumers with required information.
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest in Portland, OR, was fined $70,000, with $55,000 suspended, for using provider contracts it did not file. The contracts were used for several years.
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest and Kaiser Permanente Health Alternatives in Portland, Ore.,, were fined $30,000, with $20,000 suspended, for a series of violations related to claims, agents and plans.
The Insurance Commissioner’s Office collected a total of $1,210,231 in fines in 2008. This money was deposited into the state’s general fund to pay for other state services.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.