LA Lawsuit Claims Man Got Salmonella From Spices

May 8, 2009

A Los Angeles man who claims he got salmonella poisoning at a buffet restaurant in Reno, Nev., is suing a Northern California spicemaker.

The suit, filed in Superior Court, is believed to be the first stemming from a bacterial outbreak that sickened more than 40 people earlier this year in California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.

No deaths were reported.

David Navarrette of San Pedro says he became ill in March from eating contaminated spices at the restaurant. His suit accuses spicemaker Union International Food Co. of Union City, Calif., of liability, negligence and breach of warranty.

The company recalled its Lian How and Uncle Chen brands of spices.

Union International did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the lawsuit.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.