Lightning-Sparked Fire Causes $500,000 Damage

August 20, 2008

Damage is estimated at a half-million dollars after lightning sparked a blaze at a Vail Valley, Colo., home.

No injuries were reported in the fire that broke out on August 16, 2008.

Eagle River Fire Protection District Chief Charlie Moore said authorities received a 911 call after a resident of the home noticed smoke inside.

Firefighters found the lightning had ignited a fire inside some of the home’s structural supports. Moore said the lightning also blew apart a section of the stone chimney and send pieces flying up to 20 feet away.

Officials said the 7,800-square-foot home was worth about $4 million.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.