Crews overcame a threatening flare-up Monday and worked to halt a wildfire east of Los Angeles that has sent 1,000 people fleeing their homes.
Water-dropping aircraft were back in the air April 28 to complement ground crews as more than 580 firefighters attacked the blaze. Calmer wind and rising humidity were expected to help, said U.S. Forest Service spokesman Ed Gililland.
The blaze charred 490 acres Monday, authorities said. Containment had fallen from 30 percent to 23 percent because the burst of wind during the night pushed flames past some containment lines and within yards of several houses.
All of Sierra Madre’s schools canceled April 28 classes, and at least 1,000 people evacuated their homes in the foothills. Authorities said no homes had burned since the fire began on April 26.
“This is pretty serious. Some of these areas have not burned in over 40 years,” city spokeswoman Elisa Weaver said.
The blaze had been creeping northwest into the Angeles National Forest, Battalion Chief Tim Davis of the Forest Service said Sunday.
“It’s very steep, inaccessible terrain, and it’s very heavy brush,” Davis said at a news conference. “Very difficult and arduous labor for these crews. You can’t get bulldozers into the majority of where these fingers of fire run.”
Two firefighters were treated for minor injuries, authorities said.
The blaze stranded 50 wedding party guests at a ranger station from April 26 until they were airlifted out by helicopter April 27, Weaver said.
Investigators had not yet determined the cause of the fire.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.