FEMA Funds Northway Airport (Alaska) Repairs Following 2002 Quake

February 27, 2006

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated $10,968,805 to assist in repairing damage to Northway Airport caused by a 2002 earthquake in the central Alaska region.

According to acting FEMA Director R. David Paulison, the airport sustained severe damages to the runway when liquefaction of the soil beneath the runway occurred as a result of the earthquake and subsequent aftershocks. Emergency repairs quickly restored limited operations to the community. This project restores full service capability by returning the runway to its pre-disaster 5,100 foot length.

“The Northway Airport is critical to the wellbeing of the local community, and its restoration to full-service allows the return of larger commercial aircraft,” said Paulison. “FEMA is providing 75 percent of this project’s $14,245,000 cost. The remaining 25 percent non-federal share will come from state resources.”

These funds were made available under the FEMA Public Assistance program, and are administered by Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management. Under the program, eligible disaster-related costs are reimbursed to government and certain non-profit entities.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.