Federal disaster funds have been made available for Nevada to help communities recover from the effects of severe storms that began late last year, the head of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced.
Acting FEMA Director R. David Paulison said the assistance was authorized by President Bush under a major disaster declaration issued following a review of FEMA’s analysis of the state’s request for federal aid. The declaration covers damage to public property from the storms and flooding that occurred Dec. 31, 2005 through Jan. 4, 2006.
After the declaration, Paulison designated the following jurisdictions eligible for federal funds to pay the state and affected local governments and certain private non-profit organizations 75 percent of the approved costs for emergency work and the restoration of damaged facilities: the counties of Carson City, Douglas, Lyon, Storey and Washoe, and the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe in Washoe County and the Washoe Tribe in Douglas County.
In addition, Paulison said federal funding will be available to the state on a cost-shared basis for approved projects that reduce future disaster risks. He indicated that additional designations may be made later if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.