Las Vegas Fire Causes Evacuation of Hotel; Damage Estimated at $1,000

July 15, 2004

About 100 residents of a downtown Las Vegas hotel were evacuated earlier this week after a fire broke out in one of the units. Two people were treated for smoke inhalation on scene and released. Investigators believe the fire was accidental.

Firefighters responded to the Beverly Palms Hotel at 224 South Sixth Street. Smoke was showing from a second story unit of the two-story concrete block hotel. When firefighters arrived, they had the entire complex evacuated, which involved approximately 100 people.

Firefighters found a burning mattress in the unit. Only the mattress burned and the rest of the unit had heavy smoke damage. Damage was estimated at $1,000.

The hotel manager reportedly told fire investigators that someone came to his room and told him one of the units was on fire. When he went to the room, he found the door closed and locked. He opened the door and found the mattress in the room on fire. He used a fire extinguisher to knock down the fire. He, along with another guest, were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. Both refused to be transported to the hospital to be checked out.

Fire investigators believe the fire started on the mattress as the result of careless smoking. The occupant of the unit is a smoker. He had left a short time prior to the fire and arrived later while firefighters were clearing the scene.

Residents were allowed to return to their rooms a short time later.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.