A man who says he was hurt when a camera cable snapped during the 2013 Coca-Cola 600 has sued Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, N.C., and Fox Sports.
Patrick Carpenter sued in Randolph County last week. Carpenter’s lawsuit says he suffered permanent damage to his right arm when the overhead cable fell into the strands, The Charlotte Observer reported. Carpenter said his right arm and shoulder were scarred by the cable.
Neither the speedway nor the network would talk about the lawsuit.
Carpenter’s lawsuit accuses the network and the speedway of negligence for not better protecting spectators. His lawsuit seeks more than $10,000 in damages.
About 10 people were hurt when the cable snapped during the race May 26, 2013. The cable was snagged by 19 passing race cars and whipsawed through the stands.
Fox stopped using the camera rig and conducted an investigation. Fox spokesman Lou D’Ermilio said the results of its investigation are not being released because of litigation.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.