Fatal East Georgia Fire Caused by Improper Use of Fireplace

December 10, 2014

State fire officials say an overloaded fireplace led to a blaze that killed a woman in east Georgia.

Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said in a statement that a fire that killed 49-year-old Anita Boyd of Elberton Friday afternoon was caused by the improper use of a fireplace.

Hudgens says the woman’s fireplace was overloaded and the fire screen eventually became unsecured. Hudgens says that allowed embers to escape and light nearby combustibles on fire.

Hudgens says the woman’s home was destroyed and he estimates the fire caused roughly $50,000 in damage.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.