A state official says an overloaded power outlet caused a fire that destroyed the Ballard’s Farm Sausage plant in Wayne County.
The fire occurred Monday morning at the family-owned plant.
Assistant State Fire Marshal Ryan McFarland tells The Herald-Dispatch that the power outlet was in a second-floor office adjacent to a storage area where corrugated cardboard boxes and foam trays were kept.
McFarland says the fire spread from the building to three connected buildings through a false ceiling.
The fire has been ruled as accidental.
No one was injured.
The Ballard family has operated the plant for the past 68 years.
The company produces bacon, pepperoni, lunch meats and other food products.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.