Alabama is getting more than $30 million in additional federal grants to help with the recovery from deadly tornadoes in April 2011, Gov. Robert Bentley announced Tuesday.
Bentley said the recovery from the tornados that killed more than 250 people and destroyed more than 7,500 residences has been remarkable, but more needs to be done.
He said the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Developing is supplying the grants and has about $18.5 million more that cities and counties can seek in grants. The agency provided the extra money after Bentley visited with department Secretary Shaun Donovan in September 2012 and Alabama’s congressional delegation sought extra assistance.
Bentley said Tuscaloosa County will get $7.3 million for sewer improvements and demolition in Holt. Cullman will receive $5.7 million for sewer improvements. Cordova’s grant is $3.7 million for rebuilding the city hall and police station and making road improvements.
Hackleburg will get $3.4 million to rebuild the town hall and police station and make other improvements. Marion County will receive $2.6 million for road and water improvements. Cullman County’s allocation is $1.3 million for road improvements.
Franklin County will be provided $1.23 million for road improvements. Winston County is set for $985,029 for road improvements, Phil Campbell $976,104 for road improvements and Blount County $758,572 for road improvements.
DeKalb County will get $672,135 for road improvements, Birmingham $625,000 for demolition, Moulton $593,480 for street improvements, Haleyville $523,876 for street improvements, Tuscaloosa $100,000 for a bus stop, and Hanceville $80,000 for sewer improvements.
Alabama previously got $119 million in similar grants, Bentley’s spokeswoman, Jennifer Ardis, said.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.