Fatal Fire in Georgia Ruled Accidental

December 16, 2013

State fire officials say a blaze that tore through a Crisp County home and killed a 76-year-old man has been ruled accidental.

State Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says Moses Jimmerson was killed in a fire Wednesday afternoon that was caused by unattended food left cooking on the stove.

Hudgens say the man’s Cordele home was destroyed in the blaze. Cordele is about 40 miles northeast of Albany. Officials say the man was home alone at the time, and his house had no working smoke detectors.

Hudgens says Jimmerson’s death is the 114th fire-related fatality to be recorded in Georgia this year. Of that number, Hudgens says 16 have been directly linked to food left unattended on kitchen stoves.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.