Electrical Issues Found Where Tennessee Boys Died

July 17, 2012

State officials have given a marina in East Tennessee where two boys died after apparently being electrocuted 30 days to correct issues with its electrical system.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reports the state sent a letter to the Bean Station marina noting 20 electrical issues that needed corrective action.

The action comes after 10-year-old Noah Winstead of Morristown died on July 4 and his 11-year-old friend, Nate Lyman, died the next day. Authorities have said both boys were shocked while swimming near two houseboats at the marina.

The letter, addressed to German Creek Marina manager Nancy Proffitt, said inspectors had visited the establishment on July 10.

A woman who answered the phone at the marina declined to comment to the newspaper.

“I don’t have any comment at this time. You’re welcome to call back in a few days when I can provide more information,” she said without identifying herself.

The letter from Gary Farley, director of Contract Inspection Services Section of the State Fire Marshal’s Office, listed several items that needed action, including that all meters need to be marine-rated, all feeders need ground wires and all receptacles need to match electric breaker size.

“We ask that you make the electrical repairs listed in their report within a reasonable period of time and submit a plan of corrective action 30 days from receipt of this letter,” Farley wrote. “If Proffitt fails to make the electrical repairs, the fire marshal’s office will have no choice but to turn the matter over to the local power provider, and power may be discontinued until the defective or unlawful conditions have been corrected.”

Farley wrote that the corrective actions are necessary for two main reasons.

“We are solely concerned with both the public’s safety and the prevention of any damage to your facility,” the letter states.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.