Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater announced the state agency, university and individual winners of the 2011 Loss Prevention Awards.
“Along with the Interagency Advisory Council, I am honored to recognize state agencies and universities that have gone the extra mile to reduce workers’ comp and other preventable losses,” Atwater said.
The Loss Prevention Awards are based on the performance of the agencies and universities in respect to claims cost and frequency. In order to receive an award, agencies had to rank at the top in claims frequency reduction or claims cost reduction in separate categories for small, medium and large agencies.
Individual safety coordinators and alternate safety coordinators were recognized based upon their agency performances and their involvement with interagency and statewide risk management activities. One agency was selected for the “Award of Excellence” based on agency performance and contributions to statewide risk management. Two agencies were selected for sustained performance for consistent reductions in cost and frequency.
Award of Excellence
- Department of Environmental Protection
Awards for Sustained Performance
- Florida State University
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Awards for Reduction in Claims Costs
- Florida International University
- Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Department of Military Affairs
- University of South Florida
- Department of Elder Affairs
- Division of Administrative Hearings
- Department of Transportation
- Agency for Persons with Disabilities
- New College of Florida
Awards for Reduction in Claims Frequency
- Justice Administration Commission
- Department of Business and Professional Regulations
- Department of Citrus
- Department of Corrections
- Florida Gulf Coast University
- Department of Management Services
- Florida State University
- Department of Financial Services
The Safety Coordinator of the Year
- Laymon Gray, Florida State University
- Andy Snuggs, Justice Administration Commission
- Tommy Blankenship, Department of Juvenile Justice
Alternate Safety Coordinator of the Year
- Paul Palmiotto, Department of Law Enforcement
- Mark Eacker, Department of Transportation
- John Criswell, Department of Juvenile Justice
The Florida Legislature established the IAC on Loss Prevention in 1979. It is composed of the safety coordinators from each state department and a representative designated by the Division of Risk Management. The council meets quarterly to discuss and find solutions for safety problems within state government.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.