Report Faults Water Pipe in North Carolina Firefighter’s Death

August 23, 2011

A new report says a faulty water pipe contributed to the death of an Asheville firefighter during a blaze later determined to be arson.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reports that Capt. Jeff Bowen was unable to get water from one of two standpipes in the burning office building.

A standpipe is used as a water source by firefighters and is often connected to a municipal water system.

Bowen was overcome by heat and smoke during the July 28 blaze and died after being hospitalized.

The city’s fire incident report, in which the problem with the pipe was addressed, is still being completed. Federal agencies are also probing the incident.

No one has been charged yet in the blaze, which investigators say was intentionally set.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.