North Carolina regulators will require that all new homes be built with an electronic switch designed to prevent electrical fires.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reported the Building Code Council had been moving toward dropping a requirement that arc fault circuit interrupters be installed in all living areas of new homes. The breakers already were required for bedrooms.
Some builders said the devices weren’t worth the extra expense.
Gov. Beverly Perdue last week wrote council members expressing her support for keeping the requirement.
The council voted Tuesday to do so.
Albemarle builder Mack Nixon is a member of the council who says he still doesn’t think the extra cost is worth it, but decided to go along with the governor’s request.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Trump Wins Permission to Revise BBC Suit to Remove Brand Damage
Bodily Injury Is Now A Big Share of Auto Claims Payouts. Is AI to Blame for That Too?
Hawaii Faces Rare Hurricane Strike as Storms Batter Indiana
Wildfires Fan Record Sales of Catastrophe Bonds to Backstop Risk