Kentucky Flood Victims With Insurance Might Also Be Eligible for Disaster Aid

September 10, 2009

Kentucky residents who suffered from severe flooding in Jefferson County last month may still be eligible for federal or state government disaster aid even if they have insurance.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is urging residents with damage to contact their insurance agents to file any claim as soon as possible. Failure to do so may affect residents’ eligibility for disaster assistance.

By law, FEMA cannot provide money for losses that are covered by insurance. But after submitting a claim, FEMA may be able to provide assistance if:

  • An insurance settlement is delayed. Delayed means it’s been more than 30 days since a claim was filed with an insurance company and there’s still been no decision. These residents need to write a letter to FEMA explaining the circumstance. Any help awarded by FEMA is considered an advance and must be repaid to FEMA once an insurance settlement is received.
  • An insurance settlement is insufficient. If the maximum settlement from insurance doesn’t cover all disaster needs, residents FEMA should send a copy of any documentation received related to their settlement.
  • Insureds have used up the additional living expenses provided by their insurance company.
  • The insured is unable to locate rental housing. The FEMA Helpline has a list of rental resources in the disaster area.

According to FEMA, insureds have up to 12 months from the date they registered with FEMA to submit their insurance information for review.

For more information and instructions, residents can call FEMA’s helpline at 800-621-FEMA (3362) or the TTY line at 800-462-7585 for the hearing-or-speech impaired. The helpline is open from 6 a.m. to midnight daily until further notice. Or they can register online at

Source: FEMA

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.