Federal investigators say support towers were placed too far apart during work on a pedestrian bridge that collapsed last year and killed a construction worker at the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration said in a report that construction firms failed to properly inspect structures supporting the bridge. The report also says several support towers weren’t adequately braced.
The agency cited three construction companies and assessed them fines ranging from around $5,000 to $15,000. The Dec. 19 accident killed 66-year-old Angel Chupin and injured another 18 workers.
Hardin Construction Co. and Williams Erection Co. are appealing the citations. The third company, Southeast Access, didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking comment.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
NTSB Says UPS Didn’t Act After 2011 Boeing Letter on Defect
Tackling The Growing Threat of Legal System Abuse
New York Homes Most Exposed to Hurricane Risk, Beating Miami
CommScope Sued by Lenders for at Least $150 Million Over Alleged Breach