West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin is asking that three more counties be declared a federal disaster due to recent storms, flooding and landslides.
On Monday Manchin asked that McDowell, Mercer and Raleigh counties get the declaration, which allows them to receive federal funding and personnel to assist those affected.
The initial designation covered Mingo and Wyoming counties. So far, more than $3.8 million in housing assistance has been approved and 2,300 residents have registered for assistance.
Manchin said in a news release that as the state continues to assess the damage there may be a need to request that other counties be added.
___
On the Net: www.disasterhelp.gov
Copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Lala Leaves One Dead in Hawaii With Heavy Rain, Wind to Come
Trump Wins Permission to Revise BBC Suit to Remove Brand Damage
GM Sets Up $4.5 Billion Plan to Ensure Supply of Critical Parts
Tornado Alley’s on the Move and Creating New Risk Concerns, Modeler Says