People in a two-block area of Raceland, Ky. were advised to take shelter because a tank car was leaking chlorine fumes.
Fire Department spokesman John Rowe told the Daily Independent that a four-hour advisory was issued Sept. 26 after CSX officials reported that a tank car near the Vine Street crossing showed signs of leakage.
No one was hurt.
The tank car was empty except for a residue of chlorine but was leaking vapors.
Rowe said a valve on the car caused the leak. Technicians tightened the valve to cut it off.
Three schools were affected by the advisory. No one was allowed to leave the school buildings.
Chlorine is a toxic gas that affects the respiratory system and can be fatal in high concentrations.
Information from: The Independent,
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.