Mecklenburg County, N.C. could spend more than $4 million to buy as many as 50 homes that suffered serious flood damage after Tropical Storm Fay and other storms.
The Charlotte Observer reported Sept. 17 the voluntary program would be limited to homes damaged in floods on Aug. 27, after Fay drenched the Charlotte area, or Sept. 10. The homes also must be prone to future flooding.
Melba Adams has one of those homes. She said she woke early Aug. 27 to water that had risen to her baseboards and feared she could be electrocuted. The water had risen higher once firefighters arrived. Everything was destroyed, she said.
“I’m 75 years old, and I’m having to start over,” said Adams, who is staying with her granddaughter and two young children.
Under the plan, the county’s Storm Water Services department would spend $4 million to buy up to 30 homes, while Parks and Recreation could buy up to 20 homes using money from greenway bonds approved last year.
The plan has been approved by commissioners. Qualified home owners will be notified soon.
This is the second time the county has sought to buy properties using a “quick buy” program using only local money. The last time occurred after floods in 2003.
Information from: The Charlotte Observer,
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.