Candle Mishap in Kentucky Causes $50,000 Damage

September 18, 2008

Fire officials say the tiny flame from a lit candle perched near a window started a blaze that caused $50,000 worth of damage to a northern Kentucky house.

The candle was being used for light after wind storms on Sept. 14 knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of Kentucky residents. Fire officials say the candle ignited the drapes in the master bedroom.

The Kentucky Enquirer reports the family of two adults and three children escaped the Sept. 15 fire before firefighters arrived. It took 21 firefighters from three different fire districts to extinguish the blaze.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Information from: The Kentucky Enquirer,

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.