South Carolina fire officials say a blaze that destroyed the Lancaster prosecutor’s office was set by an arsonist, but they don’t know if the same person set a fire that destroyed the courthouse earlier this week.
Lancaster County Emergency Management and Fire Service Director Morris Russell said officials are investigating the fire that also damaged several other law offices around 4:30 a.m. on Aug. 7.
No injuries were reported.
The Lancaster County Courthouse that was built in 1828 suffered heavy damage in a fire Aug. 4. Officials say that blaze one block from the Aug. 7 fire was the work of an arsonist. No arrests have been made.
Copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Lala Leaves One Dead in Hawaii With Heavy Rain, Wind to Come
Moody’s Says Heat, Water Scarcity Driving Stranded-Asset Risks
AI Data Center Boom Is ‘Maxing Out’ P/C Insurers, AIG CEO Says
Kids Keep Getting Hurt and Killed on E-bikes. Should Parents Be Held Responsible?