President Bush issued a major disaster declaration for six more Georgia counties in response to the tornadoes and severe storms that struck the state this month.
This list now includes Bartow, Burke, DeKalb, Floyd, Jefferson and Polk counties. The president had already declared Fulton County a disaster area, making federal funding available to residents.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency also said that Burke, Fulton and Jefferson counties will be able to receive federal funds to offset 75 percent of the emergency response and repairs. Other areas of the state damaged by the storms are still under review, the agency said.
Gov. Sonny Perdue said he was grateful for the declaration.
“Last weekend’s storms caused damage across our state, and the addition of these counties to the federal disaster declaration means much needed assistance will be available in the areas where it is most needed,” said Perdue.
A tornado ripped through downtown Atlanta March 14, doing millions of dollars worth of damage to the World Congress Center, the city’s major convention center and other major downtown buildings.
At least 27 people were hurt and officials believe one person was killed by the tornado, which cut a six-mile path moving along the Atlanta skyline for about 20 minutes.
Storms struck other areas of north Georgia March 15, and at least two people were killed.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.