South Carolina Warehouse Fire Ruled Accidental

January 25, 2008

Sumter, S.C., fire officials say a spark from a torch being used to dismantle equipment at a warehouse led to the fire that destroyed the 30,000-square-foot building.

Sumter Fire Department investigators said Wednesday the fire at Korn Industries has been ruled accidental.

Sumter Fire Captain Brian Horton says a buildup of lacquer dust in the 75-year-old building fueled Monday’s fire and it spread quickly.

Six Sumter fire engine companies, two ladder trucks and 75 to 100 firefighters fought the blaze for about 10 hours.

The building had recently been bought by businessman Charlie Hodge, who was cleaning it out to be a storage facility.

Hodge estimated damages at $900,000.

Information from: The Item,

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.