Scott H. Richardson, South Carolina Insurance Director unveiled the Department’s new grant initiative, SC SAFE HOME.
The program partnered with the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes, The Home Depot, The Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce and the Member Companies of the South Carolina Wind and Hail Underwriting Association and offered two free how-to clinics Thursday in Charleston.
Engineering and Construction experts in Hazard Mitigation techniques provided hands-on demonstrations for the following steps toward a wind-resistant home:
• Construction and installation of plywood shutters
• Use of rafter glue to strengthen roof connections
• Installation of weather-stripping for windows
• Throw lengths of dead bolts
• Reinforcement of garage doors
• Installation of head and foot bolts for French and Double Entry doors
These events are a part of the Insurance Department’s program, SC SAFE HOME, which is a component of Governor Sanford’s recently enacted Coastal Omnibus Act of 2007 which focuses on the availability and affordability of insurance coverage for coastal South Carolina.
Source: South Carolina Department of Insurance
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.