Jackson County (Fla.) Eligible for More Assistance

August 23, 2005

U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency officials have announced that disaster Public Assistance for Jackson County, Florida has been expanded to include the repair and replacement of damaged roads and bridges, utilities, water control facilities, buildings and equipment and parks and recreation areas.

Jackson County, one of the original counties declared eligible for Public Assistance funding for damages caused by Hurricane Dennis in the Florida Panhandle, had only been eligible for two Public Assistance categories: emergency services and debris removal costs related to the storm.

Jackson County joins 19 counties already approved for all seven categories of Public Assistance. They are: Bay, Calhoun, Dixie, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Holmes, Jefferson, Leon, Levy, Liberty, Monroe, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Taylor, Wakulla, Walton and Washington.

Public Assistance allows FEMA to provide state and local agencies and certain non-profit organizations in these eligible counties with funds for qualified projects. FEMA pays 75 percent of the cost of projects and the state and/or applying agency is responsible for the remaining 25 percent.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.