FEMA Approves $2.4 Million Grant to Help Ala. State Military Dept. with Emergency Protective Measures

March 22, 2005

The Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that the agency has approved $2,395,121.63 in federal disaster funds to reimburse the Alabama State Military Department for part of the cost of emergency protective measures in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan.

“I am pleased to announce that the Alabama State Military Department will get this much deserved help to recover from Hurricane Ivan,” said Michael Brown, FEMA director and under- secretary for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. “This grant will help the State government cope with the financial hardship that follows such a devastating storm, and again demonstrates FEMA’s commitment to help Alabama communities recover.”

A total of 51 Alabama counties are eligible for Public Assistance as part of the Sept. 15, 2004 presidential disaster declaration. Under the Public Assistance program, state and local governments and certain private non-profits are eligible for partial reimbursement for the repair or restoration of public infrastructure, as well as for the cost of debris removal and emergency measures taken to respond to the storm.

The $2.4 million grant represents a 90 percent federal share of project costs. The remaining 10 percent is covered on a 10 percent state cost-share basis. Additional Public Assistance grants will be announced in the 51 designated eligible counties as the recovery continues.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.