W. Va. Gov. Signs Federal Disaster Declaration

June 10, 2004

Gov. Bob Wise has signed an agreement between the state and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, allowing aid to begin flowing to the West Virginia residents affected by the recent floods.

“This is a continuation of the excellent working relationship between West Virginia and FEMA,” said Wise. “I’m happy to be signing this agreement. It’s time to start repairing and rebuilding our homes, businesses and public facilities.”

The President granted a Major Disaster Declaration awarding Individual Assistance to 24 counties in West Virginia. The agreement Wise signed calls for FEMA to pay 75 percent of the costs for repairing many businesses and residences that were damaged during the severe winter storm. The state must pay the remaining 25 percent.

Citizens in Boone, Braxton, Cabell, Calhoun, Clay, Fayette, Gilmer, Jackson, Kanawha, Lewis, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, McDowell, Mercer, Mingo, Nicholas, Putnam, Raleigh, Roane, Wayne, Webster, Wirt and Wyoming counties can apply for Individual Assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA. For hearing or speech impaired, the number to call is 1-800-462-7585.

The President also approved 11 counties for Public Assistance. Those counties are: Braxton, Gilmer, Jackson, Logan, Mingo, Putnam, Raleigh, Roane, Webster, Wirt and Wyoming. Public Assistance provides aid to state, county and city governments for the repair, replacement or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly owned facilities. This money could be used to repair roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, fire departments and utilities, and the facilities of certain private non-profit organizations.

Wise also suspended the West Virginia consumer sales tax and service tax and the West Virginia use tax on purchases or uses of specified building construction materials and supplies.

Flood victims with the appropriate FEMA claim number and documentation are eligible for the exemption.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.