Louisiana health officials say a second bacterium, in addition to the salmonella found, apparently contributed to the mass food poisoning that may have killed one person and apparently sickened more than 100 people who ate ate the chicken and sausage jambalaya at a softball team’s fundraiser.
Assistant State Health Officer Dr. Parham Jaberi says in addition to the salmonella already found in stool samples, a bacterium commonly found on raw meat and poultry also has been identified. Jaberi says the bacterium, when ingested, releases a toxin that makes people sick. It presents many of the same symptoms as salmonella.
The fundraiser was in Columbia, a town of about 400 and the Caldwell Parish seat.
As of Friday, The Town Talk reports 125 cases of a gastrointestinal illness were confirmed with 37 people hospitalized after eating chicken and sausage jambalaya at a softball team’s fundraiser. One death was reported, but officials are conducting an autopsy to determine whether it can be attributed to the outbreak.
Doctors expect more illness, because more than 300 plates may have been sold.
The ages of those with a confirmed illness range from 15 to 72 years old.
More testing is expected, but health officials don’t anticipate any new findings.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.