Some families in North Little Rock, Ark., have been forced to evacuate their homes after a hazardous chemical spill in a neighbor’s backyard.
Fire Chief Jim Murphy tells KATV-TV the homes were evacuated after a homeowner’s son accidentally knocked over a 55-gallon barrel of hydrochloric acid. He estimates 20 gallons spilled.
Authorities blocked off the street for several hours to clean up the spill.
The homeowner tells the station the barrel is from a backyard car wash business he used to operate and that the acid is used to clean aluminum rims.
Murphy says the man was cited for improper possession and disposal of a hazardous material.
He says the investigation will be turned over to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.