Arkansas’ Emergency Management Department says a private storm shelter where a death occurred after a tornado tore through central Arkansas last week didn’t meet safety requirements.
Emergency management officials said Monday that the storm shelter had a door failure during last week’s deadly tornado and that it hadn’t been inspected by state authorities before the storm.
The department recommends that all storm shelters be inspected by a government official to ensure that they meet the requirements by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the National Performance Criteria for Tornado Shelters.
According to Faulkner County spokesman David Hogue, the death occurred on Plantation Drive in Mayflower last week. He says he didn’t know which of the victims was killed in the shelter.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
New York Homes Most Exposed to Hurricane Risk, Beating Miami
Worst Start to Wildfire Season Raises Alarm as El Niño Threatens
Balancing Technology and Expertise in Property Insurance Claims
Adani Enterprises Reaches $275 Million Settlement With Treasury