The family of a Baker, La., man shot to death outside a Baton Rouge nightclub in August has sued three private security guards and the club owner.
The Advocate reports that the family of 32-year-old Corey Kaufman claim the use of deadly force was unnecessary,
Baton Rouge police have said Kaufman was shot to death by a security guard at the Club Sha La on Aug. 26. Police say the guard acted in self-defense.
The lawsuit filed Thursday in Baton Rouge state court on behalf of Kaufman’s 11-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son claims Kaufman was shot by a guard as he tried to drive away from the club following an argument with a guard.
Police spokesman Cpl. Tommy Stubbs said security guards removed Kaufman from the premises. He says Kaufman, who had been banned from the club, had made verbal threats to the security guards as they walked him to his car.
Stubbs said once inside his car, Kaufman retrieved a gun and pointed it at one of the security guards and was shot. Kaufman died at the scene.
Absolute Security, who employs the guards, declined to comment.
East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III said there is no action for his office to take at this time.
“It is my understanding that the police investigation has concluded that there will be no arrest and that the shooting was justified,” he said.
The lawsuit names Absolute Security, Sha-La Boutique & Entertainment and three guards as defendants.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.