Gov. Mike Beebe is requesting a statewide disaster declaration because of the drought plaguing Arkansas.
Beebe’s office said Tuesday that he asked U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack for a disaster designation for all of the state’s 75 counties.
If issued, the declaration would mean some farmers and ranchers could receive emergency loans.
The governor’s office says 36 percent of the state is in an extreme drought and most of the rest is in severe drought.
Beebe sent the federal government a similar request for 13 drought-stricken counties last month.
The governor says the federal government can provide farmers and ranchers with tools to ease the financial impact of crop losses.
Copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.

‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco
Adani Enterprises Reaches $275 Million Settlement With Treasury
Wall Street Watchdogs Pause Some Cyber Exams After Mythos Shock
AAA Forecasts Record Memorial Day Drivers Despite High Gas Prices