3 Die in Monroe House Fire

October 17, 2008

A neighbor tried to save them but three people died in a Monroe house fire.

Neighbors said they awoke at about 1:25 a.m. to find that the home of Claude Smith of Monroe was on fire. The three people who died in the house were identified by neighbors as Smith, Dale Johnson and Ann Johnson. They said Smith had been taking care of the Johnsons, who were mentally handicapped relatives of his deceased wife.

Neighbor Isaac Brown ran to the house and broke out a window, but the smoke and flames were too strong to enter and no one could be heard inside.

Fire officials said the house had no smoke alarms.

Investigators believe the fire was sparked by an electrical problem near breaker boxes in the living room.

Source: The News-Star.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.