Louisiana residents considering suing their insurance companies over damage from the 2005 hurricanes shouldn’t expect an extension in the deadline from Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon.
Unlike last year, when he directed property insurers in Louisiana to extend the deadline from one year to two, he said he doesn’t plan to get involved this time. The state Legislature decided two years is ample time to file claims or lawsuits seeking damages, he said, and “frankly, I agree with them.”
In Louisiana, most property and casualty policies limit the time policyholders have to sue to one year after a loss, according to his office. Donelon’s directive last year gave policyholders until Aug. 30 of this year to file suits or claims for damages related to Hurricane Katrina, and Sept. 25 for those related to Hurricane Rita.
His comments came after a nonprofit group sued in state court in Baton Rouge, seeking to have the deadline extended by Donelon or Gov. Kathleen Blanco.
A spokeswoman for Blanco said it’s the Legislature’s job to extend deadlines – not the governor’s.
Information from: The Advocate, www.2theadvocate.com.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.