An electrical fire in this Guthrie, Okla.’s historical downtown caused $200,000 in damage to an antique shop and a saloon where cowboy actor Tom Mix once worked as a bartender.
No one was hurt in the blaze in the International Building. The fire began around 10:45 p.m. near some appliances that were plugged into a strip electrical outlet in the shop, Miss Lizzie’s Bordello, Fire Marshal Lester Branch said. Blue Belle Saloon also was damaged.
“I’m not sure which appliance caused the fire, but one of the three or four,” Branch said.
The building, built in 1890, and the businesses are part of a district listed on the National Register of Historic Places and another district listed on the National Historic Landmarks.
“There is only slight damage to the first floor of the Blue Belle,” Branch said.
Blue Belle owner Vivian Jones was closing up when she smelled the smoke, Branch said.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze in 10 minutes and left the scene by 3:15 a.m. Wednesday.
The Oak Cliff Fire Department helped Guthrie firefighters put out the fire, Branch said.
“They were awesome,” Branch said. “We are lucky to still have this historical building.”
Guthrie is known for its collection of late 19th and 20th century commercial architecture.
The Blue Belle Saloon was described by the Guthrie Chamber of Commerce as one of the most lively bars during Guthrie’s early days. Mix worked there in the early 20th century.
Upstairs was a bordello with an enclosed skywalk connecting it with the Elk Hotel next door, which served as home for many of the Oklahoma Territory’s legislators.
Information from: The Oklahoman, www.newsok.com.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.