Can FEMA Contact You? Updated Addresses Needed from La. Applicants

February 23, 2006

Residents of Louisiana who have been displaced by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita may have mail.

Many were forced to flee their homes for safer, drier places when the storms hit. Some of them may have been too busy to submit a new change of address, particularly those who have moved more than once. Without the newest change of address, mail cannot be forwarded and may cause important information or checks to be returned as undeliverable.

It is important for residents registered for disaster aid with FEMA to check their application regularly and ensure that all contact information, address and phone numbers remain current in the system. If this information is not current, inspectors and other federal and state disaster recovery officials may be unable to contact them.

Residents who have registered for disaster assistance are urged to provide FEMA with their current contact information. People who have moved and have not updated their address and phone numbers could be missing out on important correspondence, calls about temporary housing and other disaster assistance. For this reason, state and federal officials urge disaster applicants to stay in touch and to update contact information immediately should they move or change telephone numbers.

Every time an applicant moves, they need to notify both the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Post Office of their current address and former address, so that mail can be forwarded.

“Many applicants may have provided a change of address information and have since relocated,” said Scott Wells, FEMA’s federal coordinating officer. “We are aware that some individuals may have moved since their last update. We encourage everyone to update their contact information each time they move.”

Some federally issued checks cannot be forwarded and must be mailed directly to the recipient. Applicants are encouraged to contact agencies issuing checks they expect to receive and provide a new mailing address.

To update their address with FEMA, applicants may call the FEMA helpline at: 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585.

To put in a change of address with the U. S. Postal service, individuals may visit any U.S. Post Office or use the postal services telephone or internet change of address options.

Change of address can be filed online at or by calling: 800-ASK-USPS (800-275-8777). Those individuals without telephone service or internet access should go to the nearest post office and complete a change of address form.

If individuals and business owners affected by the hurricanes have not registered for disaster relief funds, they need to register now by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585. The application deadline is March 11, 2006

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.